Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Living Room & Dining Room: Color Me Finished!

Ummmm....we had some trouble picking out just the right color for the living and dining rooms.

Choices
 Since we had such great luck having Home Depot match to our desired color swatches in other rooms, we thought we'd have no trouble. But, the Curse of the Beige hit us in full force. Since beige is a mixture of other colors, it has a tendency to change in the light. I painted the entire dining room in our original selection only to decide it wasn't right at all. How could that be? We liked it when we painted the sample on the wall. Well, apparently a gallon mixes up differently than the tiny 8oz samples that they give you at Home Depot. To this I shout, "WHAT'S THE POINT, THEN??"

I'll let the photo speak for itself. Sixteen samples later, we decided upon a lovely color from Benjamin Moore. Even as I painted, Nick had doubts. "This is the ONE," I insisted. "It will look different once all the walls are painted. Indeed, that's exactly how it works. We are pleased with the outcome.
Finished! Still looking for the perfect sconces.
 
Let me add a plug here, although you pay much, much more for the Aura paint at Benjamin Moore, it is a phenomenal product. It covers very well and I probably used half  as much paint as I would have used in Behr. So, with that consideration, the extra cost isn't as much as it seems.

2 comments:

  1. It looks very cozy and modern mid-century. I love it!

    Paint can be so deceptive because of light and reflection. I'm glad you found the one you wanted. And I also agree that good paint is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The green chair is definitely mid-century, but we've been trying to go with a fairly traditional look to match the era of the house. We're not hard and fast about that, though. Perhaps I'll do a future blog about our furnishings.

      Delete