Friday, May 11, 2018

Yard Stuff: A Sunny Sunday OR Experiments

When it comes to gardening, I can mostly do what I want. If I keep it in a pot, Nick doesn’t care at all. He also doesn’t care if I weed, prune, or fertilize. However, he DOES care when it comes to putting things in the ground, though I still take gambles on small things that won’t be hard to take out later.
Sky pencil holly, laurel, bush tree, maple.
This is my little nursery with last year’s experiments. Sometimes when I find seedlings I’ll put them in little pots to see if I can grow them bigger. Here I have some laurels that I plan to take to Mom and Dad’s farm to plant. They may not make it given the climate difference, but there’s no cost to trying. They’re looking a little yellow, so it’s time to get them in the ground and feed them. At front is a little bush tree that I think came from the neighbor’s yard and is growing well. The pathetic looking thing on the left is a sky pencil holly from the front yard that I’ve put into PICU (Plant Intensive Care Unit), to see if I can revive it. I also have a maple that got fried last year when I was away for a few days. Its leaves shriveled and fell off, but it stayed alive!

Unidentified thing (left) and sweet gum tree (right).
This year’s experiments include a cutting from one of the sweet gum trees at the parking strip. This twig was growing from the base of the trunk, so I snipped it, dunked it in rooting hormone and stuck it in a little pot. Its leaves came out and are getting bigger! I moved him to an area of the yard that is a bit more protected so that he doesn’t stress from the direct sun.

Rosemary cuttings staged in a warm place.
These rosemary clippings were gathered from a nearby source. I hope they take root so I can plant them in a hot spot next to the deck. It’d be great to have fresh rosemary for cooking!

New hose and water soluble fertilizer.
This pieris breaks my heart. How do I make her happy?
The sky pencil hollies in the front yard have not been happy. I’m taking a bolder approach this year and if they don’t snap to, we need to do something else. I got some water soluble miracle grow and plan to feed them every 7 – 14 days, as suggested on the bag. The pieris that we transplanted from the front yard has had a rough go. Nick says it lost a lot of root mass in the move and he’s amazed it’s survived at all. This year we were heartened to see quite a lot of healthy new growth.

1 comment:

  1. I admire your tenacity and success with a lot of your plants. They sure do make the place seem a lot prettier.

    ReplyDelete