Tuesday, May 31, 2022

The Kitchen: Part II - Behind the Walls

 While it's not as interesting, certainly the electrical, plumbing and insulation are worth mentioning. 

Electrical and plumbing: done

The south-facing window was removed and covered. We had matching bricks leftover from a previous project that were used on the exterior. It's not an interesting photo, but the mason did an exceptional job and you really can't tell that there was a modification.

Deleted window with fire blocker foam

We moved the sink from the south wall to the west wall and once the plumber and electrician did their jobs, I filled gaps and holes with fire blocker insulation (the orange stuff). After that, I put fiberglass insulation into the stud bays. It was especially tedious because there weren't very many standard width bays, so I had to trim the batts down to size. I always wear long sleeves, gloves, a respirator and glasses when I work with fiberglass insulation. I also run an air purifier, which you can see in the photo below. 

Insulated


3 comments:

  1. Good job! It's nice to hear (and see) the modifications you made. I didn't even think about the changes when I visited. It's a small but workable kitchen now -- modern and up-to-date. And you have learned so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m glad it seems natural enough that you didn’t think of it. We do a lot more cooking now that we have the counter space. It was so hard to work in the old kitchen! I also like that I can participate in dining room conversation from the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In all the older homes I can think of, the kitchen was designed to be a separate room so that the cooking mess was not visible to the living and dining areas, but it also separated the cook from family and guests. And as I think about it, the dishwasher makes it so much easier to clean up as we cook.

    ReplyDelete