Sunday, November 12, 2017

Attic Ladder: The Last Step (Ha!)

Installation instructions for attic ladders say that it can be done by one person, which seems incredible to me. But truly, Nick was able to do the next part all by himself. He installed some wood boards across the open span so that the ladder could rest level with the ceiling while he positioned it to his liking. Then, he shimmed the gap and screwed the ladder into the framing. Once complete, I came along and plastered the edges that had gotten mangled in the process and filled in the small gap between the ladder unit and the framing.

Bracing for installation.
Secured. Plaster touch-up.
The plaster touch-up wasn't really necessary since we put trim around the ladder to match the doorways, but we feel better having done it anyway. The door is made of melamine, which I'm not a fan of, but there wasn't any other choice. The reason why I don't like it is that unlike wood, if it gets dinged or marred, it's very difficult to patch and repair. It had a corner that was slightly squished, but I was successful in making a decent repair. It also painted up to satisfaction, so it works! 
Melamine door - pre-paint.
Post paint w/trim. Happiness!
I think it looks really sharp with its white trim and matching door. You'll notice several things in the final photo that I haven't talked about yet. Worth mentioning is the neat little exposed bulb light fixture that replaced the larger glass shade fixture at left. We put in another matching light around the corner in the hallway, which makes it a happier, less ominous place. 



3 comments:

  1. This looks great!! Makes mine look shabby. One question - How do you pull it down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a metal rod that fits into the little hole at the end closest to the light. You stick it in and twist the rod, which moves the clasp so that the door opens. I'm not a big fan of this because I have to find a good place to store the rod and the ladder doesn't just fall open, so it's a little tricky. I suspect with some adjustment to the hinges it would be better, but Nick has decided he's done with this project. I suppose a woman will have to do it.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure Hallie the Great will come up with an outstanding solution. Let us know what it is.

    ReplyDelete