Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Bathroom: Walls and Tile

Hello, friends! In real time, Nick and I are both starting new jobs this month and had an exceptionally busy week as we finished out our old jobs before going on vacation to Kauai. We're back--shocked at the effectiveness of SPF 50 and our lack of tans, but fully used to sleeping 10 - 12 hours each night. Let us pick up where the story left off...

Having successfully installed the tub, the work turned to hired help. An electrician came in and ran all the wiring for the vanity sconces, a light above the shower and the ceiling fan. He was done in a matter of hours and the electrical inspector was there by afternoon to give approval. The next day, a drywaller came in and very quickly put in the ceiling and walls. I promise you, he came around 7am and was practically finished by the time I left for work an hour later. He came back the next day to sand his seams and do touch-up after it dried, and once that was done we were cleared to install trim and paint.

Walls installed. 
The red wall is the cement board for wet areas.
We decided to have a radiant heated floor, which would be the only source of warmth in the room (you'll remember that we removed the heat register). To do this, the tile guy set wiring into mortar. I believe he mixed the set too thick because it dried with mounds rather than settling out level. When I asked about it, the worker assured me that he would level it out as he laid the floor tile. Hmmm.....you can guess what happened there. Despite the imperfection, I seem to be the only person who notices that the floor is not perfectly level all around.


We're really pleased with the tile work. The touches of black really pop and I love love love the shower cubby! Compare to the old floor HERE.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are a perfectionist when it comes to remodeling your house. The work is so much better than it would be otherwise, and you will be more pleased. You are right. No one will notice it but you. Go Girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is thanks to Nick that we are perfectionists. I don't have a great eye for detail, but he's helped me get better at seeing the little things.

      Delete
  2. Welcome home! We missed you. It must have felt great to get back to your little brick tudor knowing that you now have the comforts of home there. The shower cubby is awesome! I wish I had one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true. Coming back to a COMFORTABLE home feels like a luxury after multiple years of dust and projects.

      Delete
  3. Love, love this!! My brother and wife recently did a full-scale remodel on their house and put those shower cubbys in and I love them, too!

    ReplyDelete