Saturday, May 5, 2018

Yard Stuff: A Sunny Saturday

Recently, a request from a VIP reader came in wondering what we were up to in the yard (real time). On nice days, I typically do some weeding after work in the yard. I can never keep up! We've been shorted on sunshine the last two or three weekends, but today we finally got lucky. It was a perfect day to spend outside.

Evil Bluebells have taken over our side yard. These are especially hard to eradicate because you have to dig deep to get underneath them and grab the bulb. Even the gentlest tug on the top part will separate the leaves from the bulb. It's very frustrating, but today I was up to the task!

Side yard: before.
Side yard: after. What should I put here?
Last fall we purchased a bunch of thyme to plant in the joints of the stone patio. The thyme isn't very happy there and isn't taking off. We had extra in reserve for the walkway that we haven't finished yet. The poor things were suffering in their little containers, so I planted them around this maple tree. Nick doesn't like it, but I think they'll do well there and I doubt he'll get the gumption to change it.

Do you have the thyme?
I bought four watering bags to put around our trees. These Worplesdon Sweet Gum trees in the parking strip have hardly grown in the last two (maybe three) years. I gave them some fertilizer intended for rhododendrons and azaleas, because they are supposed to also like slightly acidic soil. It's hard to keep them watered because they are out of reach of the automatic sprinkler that we set up in the summer, so I thought these drip bags might make them happy.


Watering bags at street. Stupid grass isn't doing well there.

We have a dwarf rhododendron in each bed on either side of the walkway. This is the first year this little guy bloomed! His friend on the other side still hasn't bloomed, but maybe it will like the fertilizer I put near it. The dogwood was very happy with the fertilizer and the watering bag. He (she?) didn't bloom last year, which made us sad. I think things would be improved with a fresh load of compost to put everywhere. 
Dwarf rhododendron. So pretty when it blooms!
Blooming dogwood. Get bigger!

3 comments:

  1. Some people swear by Epsom Salts on dogwood trees.

    We have a maple tree in an obvious spot at the farm, and I'm insisting we cut it down this year. Who knows why it doesn't like it there, but if it can't make it in 15+ years, it's got to go.

    And yes, I have thyme, and I keep a little sign in my thyme that says, "So many weeds -- so little thyme."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...I thought epsom salts would kill a tree, but maybe that is if you use too much. I'll have to research this tip. I don't think I'll try that while the tree is doing well.

      I like the quote about thyme. So true (both meanings)!

      Delete
  2. You amaze me with all your skills. I KILL plants. It's true. I'm a plant murderer.

    ReplyDelete