Sunday, June 5, 2022

The Kitchen: Part II - Texture, Flooring, and Cabinets

 After the drywall was done, Nick got out his trusty hawk and trowel and textured the arch and small portion of the wall that would not be covered by cabinets. He did an excellent job matching the texture to the original texture in the dining room. That is not an easy task and even our contractors were impressed.


We decided to do top nail oak flooring in the kitchen. The floor guy said that what we have in the house is red oak rather than white oak--I'm not so sure. Regardless, the color of the floor changes with age and it wouldn't be possible for the new floor to perfectly match the old floor, so we ran the wood the opposite direction, creating a visual separation of the space. I was impressed by the machines the floor guy brought with him. He hooked a big sanding machine up to a vacuum device and there was no dust at all!


Once the floors were finished, the cabinets were installed in just one day. It was finally starting to feel like a kitchen again!





3 comments:

  1. The kitchen and dining area turned out beautifully -- a wonderful update that still leaves a vintage but trendy feel. Having the kitchen out of commission is difficult. I trust you didn't starve.

    ReplyDelete

  2. This is Chuck. I couldn't find a suitable handle, like I could on Kathy's. Thank you, Hallie, for the updates. You have made that home into a veritable castle. It really looks beautiful. I have a granddaughter who wants to see it, too. I have the site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Uncle Chuck! I need to post some of the finished photos of the kitchen now, but we're always cooking! I might just have to do a final post of my "lived in" kitchen. And more to come on the basement...

    ReplyDelete