Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Little Fixes

Bear with me on the timeline. There were a lot of little things that we took care of while also working on the kitchen. Early on, we had our vents cleaned and furnace serviced so that we could run the heat. The house was so cold and there was so much moisture in the air that the doors had swollen and were difficult to open and close. I remember opening the front door by throwing my shoulder into it like I was a lady copper (police woman) in an action film trying to break it down. We ran the furnace 24 x 7 during the weeks leading up to our move. I had dreams about our new house burning down before we even lived there, but I was told that the furnace needed to run in order to heat the house and dry it out.

My assessment was that the vents had never been cleaned (remember--85 year old house). Yuck!
Let's not breathe this.

The chimney needed to be tuck pointed and rebuilt at the top, so we scheduled that work right away before the re-roofing. There had been a big, ugly antennae attached to the chimney, which I posted on Craigslist as scrap metal. The person who picked it up sent me a photo of the antennae precariously attached to his small car as he hauled it off in the early morning hours. He was excited to use it as an antennae. Ha! It hadn't occurred to me to post it for its actual use.

Chimney work.
Scrap metal or...an antennae!
This outlet at the back door gave me concern, so I called an electrician to have it fixed. It was apparently not rated for an exterior application, so the electrician replaced it entirely and nicely mounted it to the brick.

Who needs an extension cord?
Oddly satisfying little improvement.

1 comment:

  1. Nice little fixes. And yes, people still use antennas.

    ReplyDelete