Saturday, August 26, 2017

Refreshing the Railing: Curly Gets Cut Loose

The more exterior painting we did, the more the green railing at the entry bothered me. So, one day without discussing my plans with Nick, I started stripping the paint. The banister was difficult to strip. I'm not sure what sort of paint was used, but it was thick and didn't bubble with the use of the heat gun. I used a 60 grit sandpaper with our rotary sander on the flat surfaces and then switched to emery cloth. The twisted bars were especially difficult, but I had some success using a Dremel.

The railing had some odd little curly details that didn't seem to match in proportion or style. It's possible that they were added on at a later time. Nick decided that they should be removed and he set to work cutting them off.
Good-bye, Curly!

Although you may not see me in most of my photos, I assure you that I am an equal participant in these efforts! Nick helped with the burden of stripping the metal, which I, and my sore little fingers were grateful. I masked off the area and created a make-shift painting booth with a plastic drop cloth and Nick spray painted the railing (primer then finish coats).

Stripped.
Painted.
What an improvement! The neutral color of this railing will forgive potential changes in trim color well into the future.

5 comments:

  1. Your efforts are being rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Uncle Chuck! Thanks for stopping by. We are pleased that our little house is no longer an eye sore.

      Delete
  2. You've done a beautiful job--yet again! The railing on our deck/porch/veranda (we've never quite decided what it is) has needed redoing for years and Dan is finally tackling it. One section is done is looks great, but there is much more to do...

    ReplyDelete