Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Christmas Spirit

Several years ago, I pushed hard to landscape the front yard in the fall for the sole purpose of putting up Christmas lights. Nick complied with my request, though I'm certain he thought I was irrational. Other posts will cover the landscaping, this one is just about Christmas spirit.

Christmas - 2015
The first Christmas with lights included red lights in the dogwood tree and Japanese maple, green lights in the Italian cypresses flanking the house, and white lights along the roof line.
Christmas - 2016
In 2016, we decided to give the rapidly growing dogwood and maple trees trunks of white, using the red lights only in the branches. We also added white lights to the little weeping yellow cypress** under the front window. We bought a little Christmas tree from the Boy Scout Troop 100, which we put in our TV room (front bedroom). This was our first tree together (married 7 years at the time).
Christmas 2017

The 2017 house has added lights in the front windows and a Christmas tree in the living room.

Front Window
Christmas Tree
We hope the 2018 Christmas will include the perfect tree topper and tree skirt. It has not been easy to find just the right things! How many years until we have a Griswold house?

**Actual name of "weeping yellow cypress" may vary.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this timely post. The first time I saw a picture of the little Tudor, I knew it would be fun to decorate with lights. And I know Nick is as interested in that as you are.

    A long time ago you said you were going to have a funky Christmas house. I wonder if you still have your funky decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick enjoys ornaments for sure and he's usually the one pushing for the tree, but I put up most of the lights outside. He helps with the lights along the eaves because I'd probably kill myself, but I put up the lights in the trees. He likes the lights and would probably do it--I'm just more eager on that front. It's nice that we have complementary holiday spirits.

      Delete
  2. Your house looks lovely. The pictures from the different years looks so much better and different. Do you have a new photographer? Our house pales by comparison. Don't let the grinch get your pretty stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick took the previous years' photos and I did this year. The lighting really impacts the outcome of the photos, but also I think you're detecting the progression of our phone upgrades. I like the photos at dusk best because you can also see the yard, but I haven't been able to get home before sunset and the weather over the weekend didn't comply.

      Delete
  3. Oohh, it looks wonderfully festive on the outside and your tree is beautiful! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete