Friday, December 1, 2017

Front Bedroom: This is Home

A neglected house is a bit like a neglected animal--although you might have compassion, you don't just want to cuddle up to a dog with fleas and mange. Looking around the front bedroom, I wasn't at home, but gazing out the window with the morning sun streaming in, I imagined that I could feel at home here.

Among the first things done, the windows were replaced. I stripped and sanded the trim, and we dug out the cracks in the plaster for repair.

Things get worse before better.
We even replaced the window in the closet. It was a little removable fellow with a latch and a chain, but the clear single pane glass wasn't practical, and it wasn't necessary to be able to open this particular window. Although you can't quite tell from the photo (below right), we replaced it with a frosted glass window.
Shoe storage!
Do recall the attic ladder project. Here's where we patched the old access hole:

The patch.
Leave no trace.
By now you know the routine: patching the plaster cracks, skim coating the ceiling, sanding, sanding, texturing, priming, painting. Crammed into a single sentence like that, it sounds like a breeze. Trust me, it took us many moons.

Cozy.
This is home.

2 comments:

  1. NICE!! Interesting that our thought is attracted to something we can love even when the situation isn't optimum -- something that leads you on. I see your Mission rocker which was in your grandmother's room in the '20s. I was going to ask if Nick was draped in a tablecloth, but I think that's the "wedding" afghan I made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's the wedding afghan. It looks lovely on the back of the couch. Nick had fallen asleep and I placed it over him. He woke up when I started moving around and when he sat up he looked like a wrapped mummy in the blanket. Yep! The rocker lives here and behind it is the little bookcase that Aunt Carol gave me.

      Delete